Sunday, July 14, 2013

Cauliflower




This is my second year growing cauliflowers, the first year I was clueless when it came to looking after the flower of the plant once it appeared.  I have since done some research and have found that the flower itself is easily damaged.  So this season I am going to try and ensure I have big white cauliflowers.  Now that I have cauliflowers about the size of baseballs I have pulled the leaves surrounding the head all together and tied them with twine (not too tight, but not too loose either). By doing this I am protecting the flower, keeping it nice and white and stopping any bruising that may occur.  My only problem at the moment is a lot of fat caterpillars that has taken a liking to munching their way through the leaves, it may be time for a spraying of Dipel!  Fingers crossed I have some lovely cauliflowers in a few weeks time.  Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment